City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Location within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Program map of the United StatesCoordinates: Coordinates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Area City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 ft (92 m) Population City65,239 Price quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (United States: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer Season (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, US 15, US 40, US 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Site Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has long been an important crossroads, located at the intersection of a significant northsouth Indian path and eastwest routes to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what ended up being Washington, D.C. and across the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Location, which is part of a higher Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Location.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates basic air travel, and to the county's largest employer U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research study setup. Found where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) fulfills the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick area became a crossroads even before European explorers and traders got here.
This ended up being referred to as the Monocacy Trail and even the Great Indian Warpath, with some travelers continuing southward through the "Excellent Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, and so on) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Founded before 1730, when the Indian trail ended up being a wagon road, Monocacy was deserted prior to the American Revolutionary War, maybe due to the river's periodic flooding or hostilities predating the French and Indian War, or merely Frederick's much better area with easier access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
3 years previously, All Saints Church had actually been established on a hilltop near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree regarding which Frederick the town was named for, but the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore (among the proprietors of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally extended to the Appalachian mountains (locations more west being contested in between the colonies of Virginia and Pennsylvania up until 1789). The current town's very first house was constructed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate called Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his partner, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland colony.
Schley's inhabitants likewise established a German Reformed Church (today referred to as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Probably the earliest home still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, constructed in 1756 by German inhabitant Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was amongst the lots of Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (in addition to Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who migrated south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another crucial path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other continued west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
Nevertheless, the British after the Pronouncement of 1763 limited that westward migration route till after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Road, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Gap near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their objective church from Monocacy to what became a big complex a couple of blocks even more down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invite to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury got here two years later on, both assisting to found a congregation which became Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log building from 1792 (although superseded by bigger buildings in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was assigned in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (integrated in 1800). To control this crossroads throughout the American Revolution, the British garrisoned a German Hessian program in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, put up 1813, Principal Parish Church until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not only was an essential market town, however also the seat of justice.
Essential lawyers who practiced in Frederick consisted of John Hanson, Francis Scott Secret and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was also known during the nineteenth century for its spiritual pluralism, with among its primary thoroughfares, Church Street, hosting about a half dozen significant churches.
That initial colonial building was changed in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the primary worship area has ended up being an even larger brick gothic church joining it at the back and facing Frederick's Municipal government (so the parish remains the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was constructed in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (across the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands along with a school and convent established by the Visitation Sis. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was also rebuilt and enlarged in 1825, then replaced by the current twin-spired structure in 1852.
It became an African-American congregation in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and constructed its present structure on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches controlled the town, set against the backdrop of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later on immortalized this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (eventually built to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" went through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later on ended up being U.S. Path 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (getting a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a journal from 1819-1878 which remains a crucial first-hand account of 19th century life from its perspective on the National Road.
Church Street by a regional medical professional to prevent the city from extending Record Street south through his land to satisfy West Patrick Street. Frederick likewise turned into one of the brand-new country's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Transformation, Catoctin Furnace near Thurmont ended up being crucial for iron production.
Frederick had easy access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which started operations in 1831 and continued transporting freight up until 1924. Likewise in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railway (B&O) finished its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the primary Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate troops marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession concern. President Lincoln jailed several members, and the assembly was unable to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants also left from or through Frederick (since Maryland was still a "servant state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work against the Confederacy and look for liberty. During the Maryland campaigns, both Union and Confederate troops marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted numerous healthcare facilities to nurse the wounded from those fights, as belongs in the National Museum of Civil War Medication on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's men through the city a few days in the future the way to the Battle of South Mountain, where Reno died. The websites of the fights are due west of the city along the National Roadway, west of Burkittsville. Confederate troops under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully attempted to halt the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial honoring Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monument Roadway west of Middletown, just listed below the top of Fox's Gap, as is a 1993 memorial to slain Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Fight of South Mountain and the Battle of Antietam, delivered a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the current crossway of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque commemorates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Community Action Firm, a Social Services workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Possibility Hall residential or commercial property for the numerous days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A large granite rectangular monument made from one of the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway commemorates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from residents for not taking down the city on their way to Washington D.C. Union troops under Major General Lew Wallace battled an effective delaying action, in what ended up being the last substantial Confederate advance at the Fight of Monocacy, also known as the "Battle that conserved Washington." The Monocacy National Battleground lies just southeast of the city limitations, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railroad junction where two bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the primary fight of July 1864. Some skirmishing happened more northeast of town at the stone-arched "Container Bridge" where the National Roadway crossed the Monocacy; and a weapons barrage took place along the National Roadway west of town near Red Male's Hill and Possibility Hall estate as the Union soldiers pulled away eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battleground of 1863 lies around 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The rebuilded home of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, just past Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a considerable figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a car journey to the governmental retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the estate house of his dad. He became an important naval leader of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore in addition to Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's kid, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was crucial in setting up the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley served as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys stayed among the town's leading households into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a prominent lender, and his wife Mary Margaret Schley assisted arrange and raise funds for the yearly Fantastic Frederick Fair, one of the 2 biggest agricultural fairs in the State.